Blog Mission

The Everyday Thoughts and Tidbits that catch my fancy - Look! A squirrel!

Musings is a AWARD-FREE blog. Your comments are all the awards I need!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

EPIPHANY Served to Me By Youth

I realized this morning that I need to take a page out of my daughter's book. And if you know my daughter Leanna, then you know what book I'm talking about - her day planner. Her life is in that book; her job(s) schedules, voice lessons, mentoring, meetings and workshops, just to name a few things in it. Her sisters tease her boyfriend that he is only 'penciled in'. She's a first year college student studying to be a psychologist, and a leader of her sisters' 4H group, as well as an aspiring singer who is setting up gigs to sing the anthem at sports venues all over town, and is preparing for open mike nights at local watering holes.


Today is her nineteenth birthday. And what was she doing this morning while her friends from out of town were sleeping off last night in our basement? (Birthday party at my place last night.) She was working on a workshop presentation she's putting on for Monday.

"Dear, I'm almost ready to put breakfast on the table. Do you have to haul this stuff all out here now?" (For some reason, my eight foot long kitchen table is barely enough room for her projects.)

"I need to get this done, and now is as good a time as any."

If you knew my daughter, you'd know she rarely watches television, she goes to movies simply to catch up with friends, and she has NEVER uttered the words "I'm bored". She has made sacrifices in the past (not just working on projects on her birthday on Saturday, no less) in order to accomplish what she feels is top priority, like dropping out of volleyball in her senior year to make more time for her singing and mentoring. She LOVED volleyball, but The Grand Ole Opery is her goal, so it had to go. I don't worry about her not having what it takes; ambition and drive, as well as talent, are on her side.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's time for me to make some sacrifices in order to accomplish goals I feel are top priority. And I don't just mean giving up TV. I need to unplug. I love to visit your blogs, learning and laughing and getting my kicks from all the time you all put into your blogs, and I find that is the first thing I come to do when I find time to sit down at the computer,when I should really be doing my writing. (Sniff) I've decided that I need to take a hiatus from blogging, and the Internet in general. I can't say how long that it will be, but I WILL be back. 'Cause I already miss you :-(

I leave you with a sample of Leanna's singing; just know it doesn't sound near as good on tape as it did in person. My husband and I both got chills while she was singing this piece.



This is at a singing competition last spring. She received first place in this grouping, and was asked to perform at the festival's wrap up concert as one of the year's top performers. (Yes, I'm bragging. I'm her mother, so I'm allowed.)

18 comments:

Debbie Curran said...

Does that mean I'm getting four or five chapters on crit night this week? :) Take your time, Hun... all this will still be here when you're back. :D

Debbie Curran said...

And even with a not-so-great recording she gave me chills... I'd love to hear her sing live! :)

Will Burke said...

DC is right, the Blogasphere isn't going anywhere soon, but when you are ready to publish, you'll be glad that you already have an online presence (or so I've heard. Many times).

Botanist said...

I've lost count of the number of people who said something similar in the last month! I posted my intentions along these lines (not unplugging, but certainly limiting my online activities) earlier this month and the comments back suggested this is a common theme. Good luck with your new-found focus.

Oh, and Leanna has an amazing voice!

Carol Riggs said...

This is a good idea; most people are spread way too thin on the blogosphere. One reason why I only post once a week on Wednesdays, and only read/catch up on the blog posts on Wed and Saturdays (a bit on Sunday too, obviously). You have to know when to unplug a bit, and set priorities--so good for you! We'll be here when you get back. :)

Meredith said...

She gave me chills, too! What an incredible talent. I hope you have a productive time following her example!

Hart Johnson said...

Your daughter sounds amazing! I hear you on needing to sacrifice. Me? I'm sacrificing a clean house and my husband's sanity for my craft *shifty*

Yaya' s Home said...

May I please borrow your daughter? I'm sure she could put my life to rights with her Day-Planner. How refreshing to see that a young person has such amazing goals an' is not sitting around, waiting for someone else to make 'em happen. I know she'll make it 'cause she has an amazing voice.

Kudos to you for takin' time to work towards your goal. You are gonna' make it, too.

~ Yaya

Chandrika Shubham said...

Best wishes for ur daughter. :)
Take your time and when you are back I hope u will be more enthu to write more. :)
I agree with you that one should make sacrifices to accomplish one's life top priorities.

koreenclemens.com said...

Good luck. We'll still be here when you get back. :-)

lbdiamond said...

Family is SO important! Enjoy!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I wish I could sing half as well as your daughter. :)

Enjoy your break. You're doing the right thing.

Medeia Sharif said...

I hope you get a lot done during your break. I don't completely unplug, but there are times when I step away from the internet. :)

Jai Joshi said...

Your daughter sounds like she's got her head screwed on just right. You must be so proud of her and I am too.

My own blogging has been sporadic over the last couple of weeks because I was moving. I'm just catching up on things now. I'll see you when you drop in next.

Jai

Helena said...

I hope your blogging hiatus doesn't last too long, but I know just what you mean about getting our (real) writing done and all the distractions. I'm long overdue on all my own deadlines Good luck to you!

Margo Kelly said...

Your daughter is amazing! :)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Very pretty. It 'is' hard to record with the piano and acoustics so I'm sure it really was even prettier in person. :-)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Oh, and kudos to her for being so organized and dedicated to her future!