Blog Mission

The Everyday Thoughts and Tidbits that catch my fancy - Look! A squirrel!

Musings is a AWARD-FREE blog. Your comments are all the awards I need!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Outrageous Claims

 Do you see the outrageous claim I've made in the right hand side bar? Some nerve, eh?
I found Peggy Bechko's blog today, and she introduced me to I Write Like. It's a statistical analysis tool that compares your writing to that of famous authors. I choked on my rice cake (caramel, in case you're interested) when Stephen King's name popped up after I submitted the first few paragraphs of Witches Don't Wear Socks. At least it's a tool with some humor.  Like Stephen writes MG ghost stor... Forget I said anything.

Try it out; it's good for a laugh, at least.

Who do you write like?

12 comments:

Dominic de Mattos said...

What fun!! Apparently I write like James Joyce! What??!

oh well.

Thanks for introducing us to I write like!

Debbie said...

apparently I write like Margaret Atwood.....

Mystery Robin said...

I love it! I got Anne Rice. I swear, there isn't a vampire in sight!

Also, I want the cat in your picture. *love*

Stephen Tremp said...

I've tried this before. After submitting one paragraph the answer came back James Joyce. After submitting a few pages the answer was Dan Brown. I'm very happy with this result and accept this as a compliment.

Andrea Mack said...

Ha! This was fun. Apparently, at the beginning my middle grade novel is like James Joyce, but later turns out to be like Cory Doctorow. I think I'll get my 11-year-old to try it later.

Hart Johnson said...

I submitted two separate first chapters and a blog post and got different people every time. I think it uses keywords, so if you say 'fuck' a lot, you get Stephen King *shifty* seriously though, I think it's a fun tool.

Sondrae Bennett said...

How fun! Thanks for the link. I can't wait to see who it chooses for me.

The Golden Eagle said...

I got two results when I did that a month or two ago: Kurt Vonnegut and Arthur C. Clarke. Clarke I don't mind, I love his writing actually, but Vonnegut? He's famous for writing the frequently-banned Slaughterhouse-Five. :P

Lynda Young said...

I'm scared to try it in case it says I write like a third grader ;)

Carolyn V. said...

How cool! I'm totally going to try it. Stephan King huh? That's awesomeness! =)

VR Barkowski said...

Apparently, I write like Cory Doctorow, which is a little frightening because I'm not sure who that is. Talk about embarrassing!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I want that cat!!!! He's adorable. :D

I definitely trying this program out, though it will probably just laugh at me.