Blog Mission

The Everyday Thoughts and Tidbits that catch my fancy - Look! A squirrel!

Musings is a AWARD-FREE blog. Your comments are all the awards I need!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Witches and Wizards - Tuesday Teasers


In honor of the release of the final movie in the Harry Potter series, this week's teasers are from books with either witches or wizards. My guess? Someone will list them off before I get a chance to stump anyone, just like with my vampire theme.
And in honor of the release of the final movie of the Harry Potter series, I will now sit down and actually read the series. That's right. I've never read a single one. But now I'm feeling left out:-( I want to see what all the hype is about. I liked the couple of movies I saw, but I want the whole experience. So off we go!

1) Coming to the aid of a wounded whale, Kit and Nita are plunged into deep wizardry. The whale is a wizard, and she enlists Kit and Nita in battle against the sinister Lone Power. Becoming whales themselves, Nita and Kit join in an ancient ritual preformed by whales, dolphins, and a single fearsome shark. But which poses more danger; the Lone Power, or ed"Rashtekaresket, the enormous shark as old as the sea?

2) Everyone says that Gwendolen Chant is a gifted witch with astonishing powers, so it suits her enormously when she is taken to live at Chrestomanci Castle. Her brother Eric (better known as Cat) is not so keen, for he has no talent for magic at all.
However, life with the Chrestomanci and his family isn't what either of them expects. Worst of all, magic is completely forbidden outside of lessons! Gwendolen is furious ans sets out to get herself noticed - with explosive results!

3) A year ago, I was on the white-magic side. Lately, I've been leaning toward the black. I blame the universe. What's the point in being a nice little white witch in the universe I've got? If I could choose my own universe' I'd be a white witch in it. But black makes a whole lot more sense in this universe.
Not that I'm complaining. A witch never complains. But if I did, I'd have a lot to complain about. For instance: Richard Milhous Nixon High.
What's a teen witch to do when she's stuck in the most unmagical high school in the universe? Create her own "majix." Take notes. And above all, avoid nasty classmates, heartless grown-ups and boys who may prove a little too distracting for a serious teen witch to handle...


What? You didn't actually think I would put Harry in the list, did you? That would be too easy.

Can you name any of the titles from this list?

9 comments:

MT said...

I'm afraid I can't name one. But that kitty pic is adorable. :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Dominic de Mattos said...

Ditto! Those had me stumped, but I loved the Lolcat kitty!

Stephanie Thornton said...

Super cute pic! I haven't read Harry Potter, but I'm ordering them from my daughter's Scholastic booklist. I was going to wait to read them with her for the first time, but she's only four and I'm tired of not knowing what's going on!

Suzie F. said...

You stumped me, Cinette! I've loved the Potter series for years and have read or listened to the books multiple times (they get better with rereads). I'm thrilled that you'll be reading them for the first time and interested to read what you think. Enjoy!

Hart Johnson said...

It's so funny--as a kid I thought I was too grown up for fantasy, so until Harry, I had never really read any (so I know no answers).

I hope you REALLY enjoy your dive into the magical world of Harry Potter. Try to savor them a little--it is hard and you will want to go fast, but it is such a WONDERFUL series. In fact I am having a hard time not picking them up yet again... I think for the release of the last movie, I will read them all.

I actually recommend reading them a second time after you finish. As a WRITER, you can then spot how brilliantly and seamlessly EVERYTHING is forshadowed.

Rayna M. Iyer said...

I have to second what Hart says- you need to read the Harry Potter series twice, just to appreciate the level of plotting that JKR did.

And, no, I do not know any of the stories/ series, though the last two definitely sound fun.

Suzanne Casamento said...

Yay! I'm not the only one! I haven't read any Harry Potter books either. To be honest (and risk getting booed bigtime here) I'm not really a witch and wizard girl. I like to read contemporary YA about real kids. Is that crazy?

Medeia Sharif said...

I'm bad with these guessing games. I'm stumped. They sound fun, though.

Madeleine said...

You've stumped me too Cinette! :O)