Blog Mission

The Everyday Thoughts and Tidbits that catch my fancy - Look! A squirrel!

Musings is a AWARD-FREE blog. Your comments are all the awards I need!

Monday, October 4, 2010

Debut Author: Mindi Scott

Today I introduce you to one of the new kids on the block, debut YA author Mindi Scott, creator of FREEFALL, due to release October 5th.
Mindi Scott lives near Seattle, Washington, with her drummer husband in a house with a non-sound-proof basement. She is represented by Jim McCarthy of Dystel & Goderich and her publisher is Pulse (Simon and Schuster).

Links about Mindi:

http://mindiscott.com/

http://twitter.com/mindi_scott

http://www.youtube.com/user/authormindiscott

http://www.thecontemps.com/

CS: Thank you for doing this interview with me. Tell us about Freefall . What was your motivation for the story?

Mindi Scott: Freefall is about 16-year-old Seth McCoy who, after a night of partying two months ago, found his best friend dead. This is the story of what happens after the numbness starts to wear off and Seth has to decide how to move forward with his life.
I started writing this because I had an idea for a love story between a boy and a girl who had each faced tragedy. I went against my norm and chose to write the boy's point of view instead of the girl's. Everything just evolved from there. The romance angle is definitely an important part of the book, but Seth's emotional journey became the real focus for me.

CS: What do you hope for your readers to take away from Freefall?

Mindi Scott: Last year, I sat down and determined that my purpose in life is to use my writing to empower lives and broaden perspectives. So that is what I would love to accomplish.
Being less-crazy ambitious and more specific, though, I would love it if readers are drawn in by Seth and the people in his life, and that the words that I wrote make them think . . . and feel.

CS: Looking back on the writing of Freefall, is there anything that you would do differently?

Mindi Scott: You know, I don't think there is anything I could have done differently. I worked hard and revised my manuscript in the best ways that I was capable. Getting an agent took longer than I would have preferred, but that was out of my hands. I will say, though, that there are two lines in the book that recently started bothering me for being a tiny bit over-explainy. Since I didn't notice them in revisions, copyedits, line edits, etc., they are in there for good. Oh, well!

CS: What part of writing is easiest for you? And the hardest?

Mindi Scott: Creating characters and developing voice are definitely my strengths. The hardest part is learning how to use plot to showcase them. Well, that and just getting the job done. Finishing manuscripts has been really difficult for me lately.

CS: What was the wisest thing about writing that was ever said to you?

Mindi Scott: Wil Wheaton once wrote on his blog: "Writers write."
I can't remember the context and I don't know if he was quoting someone else. But I think of it often. It's my reminder to get back on task. Being a writer means writing, so that's what I need to do!

 Thank you, Mindi for joining us today, and good luck with your debut launch of FREEFALL!
 
For some reviews on Goodreads, go HERE.

12 comments:

DLCurran said...

Cinette - great interview!

Mindy - I love that you went against the grain to write from the boy's POV. Sounds like it will be a good read. Best of luck with your debut - and Congratulations! :)

DLCurran said...

Sorry Mindi... I did know you spelled your name with an 'i'. Ooops.

Rachel Morgan said...

Great interview :-)
When she said "getting an agent took longer than I would have preferred", do you know how long that was? I always find that part interesting :-)

Janet Johnson said...

So fun to learn about the authors. Great interview. I totally laughed about the two sentences. I can only imagine I'll be the same. :)

Mindi Scott said...

DLCurran: Thank you so much! :-)

Rachel Morgan: I started querying the manuscript in March 2008. I signed with my agent in January 2009. So the year 2008 was pretty much entirely dedicated to me getting rejected by agents. :-)

Janet Johnson: It is definitely hard to let go and just be *done* with something. There are always those little things that can still use tweaking, right? :-D

Solvang Sherrie said...

I hadn't heard anything about this book so thanks for introducing me to a new author. The story sounds great. Good luck, Mindi!

Jemi Fraser said...

That is such a fabulous cover!!! Thanks for the interview - I'll check out the links :)

Amanda Sablan said...

Snazzy interview! Freefall has an awesome cover and sounds like it'd be a good book. A male point of view in a story like this is always refreshing.

Elle Strauss said...

Can't wait to read! Great interview and all the best to you, Mindi!

Swegan said...

that does sound like a good read. i'll have to go to a bookstore sometime soon. freefall.. a new title to keep in mind. actually, the only title in my mind, since i have no books that i really WANT to read at the moment.
hope i can find it! and hopefully, read it!

RaShelle said...

Hi Cinette - What a nice interview. Mindi, isn't it strange how we can be so nitpicky with two lines? Your novel sounds great. And I love the cover. Plus, your house "sounds" like fun. Hopefully he's a really good drummer.

Talli Roland said...

What a great interview, Mindi and Cinette. I love the cover of Mindi's book. Best of luck to her!