Blog Mission

The Everyday Thoughts and Tidbits that catch my fancy - Look! A squirrel!

Musings is a AWARD-FREE blog. Your comments are all the awards I need!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Traditional Books vs. eReaders

First lesson of the day; don't push the 'enter' button to move from your title bar :0)

I have to say, I've been a die-hard paperback fan for decades; they fit well in any purse I own, not to mention the console of my SUV, they're light-weight, they are definitely cheaper than hardcovers, and they don't take up a lot of shelf space.
This last reason is important. I can fit them three-deep in my bookcases. My largest bookcase has 'cubbies', and I can fit 45+ paperbacks in each one. There are 20 cubbies. You do the math, because I don't wanna know the answer. Over the last year or two, I've begun to donate books to the local library as I finish reading them. But I still have more books than shelf space.
Enter Kobo! It's a cheaper ereader, and you have to order books from the kobo site, but the young adult selection has over 8000 titles. It works for me. Except,(sigh) I've already downloaded 19 titles this month. Since they aren't piled on my desk, I don't see them 'piling up', and in turn, watch my spending. Same habit, different corner? (You all know the actual saying I'm referring to;-)
What is your take on books? Paper or ereader?

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm a die hard paper fan, (not counting audio books for long car rides). I also follow the 'three deep' rule to my shelves and had to finaly break down and buy two new ones last month to clear up all the counter space in my house.

At any given time I can have 3-4 different books on the go, If it's a good one I pack it around the house with me, but sometimes I've got one in the living room, one by my bed, one by my computer and one in my purse. I like the fact I can pick em up and put them down in a split second without having to hit a power button :)

DLCurran said...

I'm breaking down slowly - just told the hubby last night I'd like the Kindle Wi-Fi for my 40th... the thing is, though, your comments about not noticing the purchases piling up is a little scary! I'm terrible when it comes to books... aren't all of us writer-types? I always have a small pile ready to go, and if I run out I harvest the books already on the shelf. With a Kindle I can have more ready to go, but there's still that nasty memory issue.

Och, I don't know... but with all the books the hubby has, I just don't have room to bring more books into the house. ~sigh~ In a perfect world I'd have a house for the books and a house for us... Hmmm... ;)

Mr. Bryant said...

I've never understood the appeal of ebooks, but audiobooks on the iPod, different story. I like to walk or workout, or whatever with an audiobook now. Especially when I was in English, with 5 or so classes, 20 novels to read in a semester, it gave me permission to work out daily without any guilt.
We listened to The Stand on the drive out to the coast, and every evening on vacation last year with the kids, and my son (grade 6) finally caught the reading bug after having the chance to hear a full length novel read aloud. I hate to admit that during school (the last 5 years, the crucial years) I haven't had time to read to my kids at night. This was the next best thing. Whatever gets the job done.

Cinette said...

I just may have to 'borrow' one of my daughters' iPods and give audio books a try. My problem with them, personally, is that I'm a visual learner. I'm afraid that I may miss important little details of a story by listening only. But I won't know if I don't try it, right?

Swegan said...

Hmmm... I don't know, I've been asking for a Kindle for my birthday because they do seem pretty neat, what with their paper-like display and such, but I'm afraid I might miss the feeling of holding a book as I read it, and not pressing a button to turn the pages. At least e-readers save paper! But I agree, I'd probably spend way too much. Best to stick with my library card for bringing home stacks of books- I'd use up the space on that thing in a week! And another thing- I prefer to browse for books rather than look for ones I want, simply because I don't know what I want to read most of the time.
Also, with audiobooks, sometimes you might not like the author's voice or the way he reads certain words or sentences, so on that I say audiobooks are great, sure, but a) they don't teach you how to read, just to listen, and 2) sometimes you might miss what the author says and not understand. Plus, CDs? Are way more likely to get smudgy than book pages. At least books can stand up to normal finger grease!