Blog Mission

The Everyday Thoughts and Tidbits that catch my fancy - Look! A squirrel!

Musings is a AWARD-FREE blog. Your comments are all the awards I need!

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Top Ten Novels Blogfest

Madeleine over at Scribble and Edit is hosting the Top Ten Novels Blogfest this weekend.What are your favourite top ten novels, and how did they affect you? Go on over and sign up; it’s not too late!


This was tougher than I thought; how to narrow down my favourite novels to ten titles and approximately when I read them. (I cheated on some of them and looked up when they were published ;-) )

10. Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I love Jeff Lindsay’s dark humour. I laugh out loud while reading his stuff. (We won’t discuss what that says about me…) I read this one just over a year ago; it’s my favourite of the series so far.

9. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I don’t usually read Dean’s stuff, but Odd is definitely a compelling character. He’s absolutely adorable. Compelling, if you will. I’ve been following this series since it started, about five years or so, maybe more.

8. Wizard’s First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Again, the start of another series, but this one was my favourite. I think it was the fresh (and some quirky) characters and their relationships that caught me.I couldn't put it down. I read this one about ten years ago.

7. the five people you meet in heaven by Mitch Albom. I remember sitting alongside the pool while my daughters took lessons, and I was bawling my eyes out. I don’t do public displays. Ever.

6. Prophesy of Days: the Daykeeper’s Grimoire by Christy Raedeke. A new favourite of mine; waiting impatiently for the second book in the series. New-agey stuff blended seamlessly with ancient philosophies. My head was swimming with the possibilities. Cool stuff.

5. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. When did I read it? Which time? Doesn’t everyone wonder what it would be like to live forever? Who ever thought it might not be so great?

4. Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume. This one was out for over ten years before I found it. I was in the same shoes Margaret was wearing; an awkward tween. I’m not saying how many years ago THAT was.

3. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. When I heard there was controversy over a book titled Speak, I couldn’t believe it was this one. As soon as I finished reading it a few months ago, I immediately passed it on to my daughters and demanded they read it. Girls NEED this book!

2. The Pistachio Prescription by Paula Danziger. Who didn’t read (and love) this story? We all had our own prescriptions for teen angst, of one thing or another, right? Mmmmm, chocolate.

1. Oranges and U.F.O.’s by Muriel Leeson. This was the hottest thing in fantasy for me. Aliens in the cupboard. Now, the internet tells me it was published in 1999, but that’s horsepucky! I read this book over 20 times. (Check the card in the back of the book at the library; my name is written on it at least that many times.) The cover is the same as I remember it from my grade school days, but in ’99 I already had kids that age. (Don’t do the math… DON’T DO IT!)

So, are any of these on your top ten list? What’s your numero uno?

16 comments:

Ellie said...

Another list where I've not read any of the books. I guess I shouldn't be surprised with the hundreds of thousands of book out there! Oranges and UFO's sounds intriguing - I shall stick that on my Amazon Wishlist!

Top Ten Novels Blogfest

Laura Pauling said...

I'd have to think about my top ten books. I'll need all weekend to think about it. Maybe it'll make a blog post next week. Just late!

Colene Murphy said...

Oh I love Odd. He's so...lovable! Great list too, awesome choices!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

No 4 and No 3 are two of my favorites too. :) Great list....

Madeleine said...

Wow. What a list! I've only read the Mitch Albom one the others are new to me. Great post thanks for joining in. There's still time for more people to join in, it's happening all weekend. :O)

Clarissa Draper said...

Sadly, I've only read Are you there god? It's me Margaret. And that was many, many years ago. I'll have to check out the list.

I don't know how I'd choose.

CD

Rachel Morgan said...

What, no Harry Potter?! He, he, he :-)
I have at least HEARD of some of these books, even if I haven't read them...
An interesting list :-)

Dave said...

I haven't read any of these, but I'm certainly intrigued by a couple of them.

Dave
Dave Wrote This

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've not read any of those either.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Though I haven't read any of these I am intrigued by them. Will try to read as many as I can. I do have a copy of the five people you meet in heaven in my TBR pile.

http://rachnachhabria.blogspot.com/2010/09/top-ten-novels-blog-fest.html

Theresa Milstein said...

I read #4 and I'm not admitting to how long ago that was either!

Here's my list:
- Harry Potter series
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- The Giver
- The Accidental Tourist
- The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
- Chocolat
- The Hunger Games
- The Graveyard Book
- The Invention of Hugo Cabret
- Rules

Saloma said...

I've not read any of the books on your list. But I noticed that no Harry Potter or Tolkien is on your list. Am I the only one who never made it through a Tolkien book and who doesn't actually like Harry Potter? Okay, I'm admitting it, please don't throw mud, people.

Thanks for your list.

Saloma Furlong
http://aboutamish.blogspot.com/

Dominique said...

I concur. Speak is fabulous.

Swegan said...

Top ten favourites... wow, that must take ages to narrow down! the only one i've read on your list is "tuck everlasting", and i have to say i didn't enjoy it that much. it was too... lacking...
hmmm. i'll have to sign up for that and nominate my top ten. one twilight book will probably sneak its way in there... sadly. or not. i've read a lot of books.
guess i better go start narrowing my list down!

Medeia Sharif said...

Numbers 3 and 4 are on my list.

Cinette said...

Thanks to you all for dropping by! Hope you were able to find a book or two you'd like to read.