Blog Mission

The Everyday Thoughts and Tidbits that catch my fancy - Look! A squirrel!

Musings is a AWARD-FREE blog. Your comments are all the awards I need!

Monday, July 6, 2009

Checking In

Look! I have another follower! Welcome Dave, to the exclusive group of Cinette's friends! I've been meaning to ask you about that writing group...
I've been working on submitting Time Wardens for review on the Next Big Writer online group, and when you type as slowly as I do, it takes awhile. The copy I have is poorly formatted. To print it off it's readable, but to transfer it to another format, it sucks. It looks sloppy and unprofessional. I wouldn't want them to know the truth, now, would I?
As I'm going through Time Wardens, I'm realizing just how bad the passive writing is. I'm going to have to brush up on fixing that. It's just so ingrained in my thinking, I'm afraid it will stifle the story if I worry about it right now. Once I finally finish the first draft, though, I'll attack it from that angle.
I just finished reading Kelley Armstrong's The Summoning and The Awakening. They're about a fifteen year old girl who can see and talk to ghosts. Sound Familiar? Crap. She does much better job with it than I do, of course. Kelley's my hero. But I'll finish Witches Don't Wear Socks for my own good! Not just to say I wrote a novel, but for the learning process. Chances of it ever selling are next to nil anyway, but that little bubble burst after reading Kelley's The Darkest Powers Series. I know, my story line is not even close, but...

1 comment:

Barbie said...

Part of becoming a successful writer is believing in yourself! Quit the negative self talk and keep writing. You will publish one day soon. Besides, even though your story starts with a similar premise as The Summoning,(great minds think alike!) it has already evolved into a different story altogether. Now, quit wasting time reading your blog and get back to your writing!