Blog Mission

The Everyday Thoughts and Tidbits that catch my fancy - Look! A squirrel!

Musings is a AWARD-FREE blog. Your comments are all the awards I need!

Friday, January 30, 2009

Another Writing-Related Goal

A couple of my writing-related goals have to do with reading. Go figure. One is to read a writing magazine at least once a week. I subscribe to Writers Digest, The Writer magazine and try to pick up The Writers' Journal whenever I can.
This week, I read The Writers' Journal for Jan/Feb 09. The articles on snazzy first lines,the elements of story and how to pitch your book were helpful. But the contest winning short stories came up short, in my opinion. I guess I'd better get to work and see if I can do any better. So, there is one contest (or more) that I can enter this year; The Writers' Journal sci-fi/fantasy contest, deadline Nov. 30. Also, they have a fiction contest deadline -oops- today, and a short story contest deadline March 30. Things to consider.
Another writing-related goal is to read a writing-based book at least once a month. This month, I read Writing is a Verb by Bill O'Hanlon. It's definately different from other writing books I've read. As a therapist/writer, O'Hanlon has a unique slant on his approach to the writing life. "Disregard your feelings." Forget about being in the mood. Just get on with it. O'Hanlon provides some exercises to help you find what's standing in your way and finding what works for you - not everyone else - to get the writing done. I liked his no-nonsense approach; Sit Down. Start Writing. No Excuses.
So, if you'll excuse me, I have some writing to do.

No comments: